Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Familiarity With Clouds

I realized today, staring out the window of a(nother) plane, that clouds have changed.

When I was a child, like all children, I stared up at the sky, at clouds passing above me.  They floated like wisps of cotton candy.  They threatened like boulders rolling toward a precipice.  They danced. They disappeared, and reappeared.  They became animals, people, playthings.

I knew clouds then.  I could name them all.  I gave them meaning, I whispered what they looked like to me.  I saw dinosaurs, vegetables, mythical creatures all floating above me.

I knew clouds then, from below.

I knew clouds from below.

But now, things have changed.  I now know, and at this point it is with intimacy, clouds from above.  I have seen the tops of clouds from planes and from mountain perches.  And I have come to an understanding with them- for they have their own uniqueness, their own personality.

I look at clouds now, from above, and I see that familiar distinction.  I see wave upon wave of oceanic ether.  I see the ridged backs of dragons in the sky.  I see a myriad of colors reflected by an endless horizon of vapor and oxygen and water: mango, tangerine, lemon, blue blue blue, lavender.

Many things happen when you travel as a rule.  You learn to make ends meet; you learn to make conversation happen like magic; you learn to drink in, like a glutton, every moment that has meaning.  Because every moment that has meaning is a treasure.  Because every time I look out the window of this plane or perch at the top of that mountain, I find myself unexpectedly.

I did not know, nor could I have guessed, that this different and exceptional knowledge of clouds would come from travel.  But I will drink it in.

Because that is what I do.

Until next time, Cheers Dearhearts.



No comments:

Post a Comment