Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Two Outta Three Ain't Bad

Once upon a time the first boy who, I think, really ever loved me, asked what I wanted in life.  He was my college boyfriend- my first boyfriend, actually- but not yet when he asked.

When I recall this moment in time, I am often surprised that he pursued me after I paused… and then answered:

"All I want in life is a dog, a jeep, and a house on a cliff by the sea."

All my 20-year-old self wanted in life was a dog, a jeep, and a house on a cliff by the sea.  She did not care about much else.

I wonder sometimes that he did not see the far-away look in my eyes.  Already half a world away, the thought of a simple, graceful life set me light years away from him and from me, from that moment- in the cool evening of North Carolina fall.

I look back on that moment at this moment and think 'well hell- I've got the dog and the jeep.'  And two outta three ain't bad.  And it's nearly three out of three these days because the present Kate would amend that all she wants in life is a dog, a jeep, and a house in the mountains.

New Hampshire is nothing if not mountainous.

These past few days, my first real days has a resident of New England, have proved challenging.  What housing I can afford won't take dogs, what housing I can't… merrily welcomes animals and pets of all nature.  Apartments that are too far away to be realistic and places that are too close to be truly available.

And on top of that, it's still winter in New England- in late March.  Which means Mud Season is yet to come.  Which means both said jeep and said dog are going to be filthy for a good long while.  The jeep does not matter so much, but the dog gets some kick out of jumping on me.  Which means I am going to be filthy for a good long while.

But I still have my boy.  And the jeep is still kicking it.  And the snow, for now, is still bright and beautiful and deliciously deep.

And at the end of the day, it does not matter how dirty, how frustrating, how disconcerting this move proves…

It matters that I am here.

Much love, Friends and Family, and more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment