Wednesday, January 4, 2012

On The Go 8

I believe that is the name of my most current iPod playlist.  On the Go 8.  Not very creative, I'll give you that, but it gets the job done.  And does it well.  It currently stores everything from 'Peach Plum Pear' to 'Einstein on the Beach' to the ultra pretty and ultra sad 'Keepsake'.  All of these are worth looking into, trust me.  I would not have mentioned them otherwise.

The first song on the list is Brandon Flowers' Only the Young.  So bittersweet, so beautiful, and almost touching in the Las Vegas way only he can do.  It is hopeful in a way that is utterly hopeless, a ponderous conundrum.  And it has recently become my theme song.  I am not sure at what point one is no longer young (and that's not the point of this blog anyway), but to hear Flowers sing it, only the young can break away.  All I think about, every time I listen to the song, is how much I would like to break away.  Far far away.  Wouldn't it be nice to start the new year by breaking away?  By just fleeing the holdovers of the old year and being free from worries, trouble and woe?

I suppose I can't really complain because in a way I am breaking away.  By fleeing the country, continent, hell, even the hemisphere, come January 29th.  I will run away to another place and try desperately to be better, really and truly better.  And I will hope against all hope that it will work; that I will work. I'm like a little worn patchwork doll waiting to be put together, stitched up, and set right.

The thing is that I am the one who has to put me together, stitch me up, and set me to right.  Which is why you must listen to 'Only the Young.'  Let yourself be captivated.  Then ponder putting yourself right.  One playlist at a time, I suppose.

Cheers, Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment