Sunday, March 1, 2015

Late (really late) February/Early March Confessions on Obsessions

A lot has been going on in my little world of late.  Trips to Norway; trips to Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary and the Netherlands.  Trips which took me though the past and caused me to forecast a little into the future- something I rarely do.  Yet lately the forecasting, fishing, and tentative planning has seemed both the necessary and the normal outcome of cautious hope.

Needless to say there's quite a bit on my mind.

But before I get ahead of myself and my long established rules of engagement, I have some obsessions to confessions.

BBC Radio One has a covers lounge.  I know, way to change tack hard after that intro.  Anyway, BBC Radio One… some of the best covers I've heard have come out of this little gem.  Try these two first, they were my original obsessions.  Then move onto this one by Paolo Nutini.  I have a difficult time NOT listening to it five or six or seventeen times in a row if I start down the rabbit hole.

Backstrom.  If you know Rainn Wilson from The (US) Office, this role is the most perfect transition.  The show is dark and snort-inducing funny.  It's a wild romp through the nonsense of crime and even though I had a rather dubious opinion of it from it's teasers, I gave it a shot.  Totally.  Worth.  It.

My passport.  Not that this is a new obsession for me, but it has moved up the list recently.  Flipping through it today (I landed, passed through US Immigration and Customs, and re-entered the country yesterday evening), I did notice that it was not stamped upon reentry to the United States, even though I know the dude stamped my Customs paperwork… Hmmm… need I be worried, 'Murica??

Blah.  I almost very nearly don't want to admit to this, having repeatedly lauded the value of books, proper books, books with pages and covers and binding, but Hell, this is all about the here and now.  I recently came into possession of a Kindle Fire.  And I will be damned if it is not just about a girl's best friend when that girl is stuck on a long-haul flight over the Atlantic.  Or any other large body of water for that matter.  Or continent.  Here's the deal, too- for whatever reason, I seem to read much faster on a Kindle than when I take on a proper book.  So as I fly through the sky, I can fly through literature (right now it's The Golem and The Jinni that I'm ploughing through at full steam).  And it's so streamlined.  So light.

So unlike the copy of Winter's Tale that I brought with me to (and left behind in) Norway.

Finally, the kindness of others.  I really don't have any clue what to hyperlink that obsession to... but I'm sticking with it.  I have had the benefit, over the past few weeks and months, of experiencing the exceptional kindness of others- people who have gone out of their way to be good to me and good for me.  That is not a terrible thing to confess, right?  That I have experienced, and experienced being grateful for, the kindness of others.

And until next time, stay tuned Dearhearts.





No comments:

Post a Comment