Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Winner-Take-All

I cannot tell you why one hates oneself.  But I can tell you how.

Or rather, I can at tell you how this one specific self practices hate.

It starts with a mirror and ends with a gladiatorial battle of the wills (and in my own defense, this is not nearly as vanity driven as a mirror would have you believe).  Gladiatorial.

Because what I see in the mirror is not a person.  What I see in the mirror is a conglomeration- the gathering point of all bad things.  It begins as a person but then, with fracturing subtlety, mutates into a living list of all my faults.  Every horrible thought I have about myself becomes a limb; a strand of hair; an eyelash; a sinew.  My bones become coated with suffusive badness- the infrastructure of disease; the infrastructure to a demon.  Humanity subsides to said disease and demon.  And that demon is a bloody gladiator.

How do you hate yourself?  How do I hate myself?  With boldness and with boundless control; with vigor.  You break your heart, you break your soul, you break your spirit. And then you lose your mind trying to put them all back together with some semblance of grace and goodness.  And for every ferocious inch that you fight, that demon inside of you will laugh and take two back, if not three.  The demon that my body becomes in the mirror has won equally as many battles as I have.

I say equally as many because I am still here.  I struggle every single day and I fight every single day.  But I am still here.  For whatever reason, this damaged brain and brutalized heart, soul, and spirit have decided they, too are gladiators.

I suppose I am writing this because I have to fight.  And sometimes the writing is the only fighting I can do.

Until Next Time..

4 comments:

  1. Keep fighting that liar in the mirror!! You deserve so much to be free of that bitch!! If I would fight her for you I could... I would totes kick her nasty ass!!! But you... the real you... you are amazing and I LOVE you!!! Be nice to you!! Try to see your self as I do and that bitch in the mirror will disappear!! replaced by the wonderful perfect you that I know and love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not from me (I would like to think I could do better than rhyming "see" with "beauty"...) but still pretty apt:

    The Mirror is a Liar

    Time to banish that old broken mirror
    It only shows sadness it gives you tears
    Its faulty reflection can paralyze
    Don't listen to its voice tell you sad lies

    Find a new mirror take a really close look
    You are in control take back what it took
    You may be surprised by all that you see
    Embrace this knowledge and see true beauty

    Mirrors of distortion tell you you're less
    Look beyond the makeup hair or that dress
    I hope your conclusion is now not the same
    Not seeing yourself would be such a shame

    Embrace yourself you are one of a kind
    Incomparable beauty, truly sublime
    See your reflection it's where to begin
    Once witnessed you can let love in

    The mirror is one dimensional
    Yet some are locked inside the glass
    Listening to a lifeless image
    That doesn't breathe or let them pass

    by Richard Lamoureux

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerfully written. You do fight, and you do win, and life would be bland without struggle as much as it fucking sucks.

    ReplyDelete