Friday, February 7, 2014

The L Word(s)

As I considered an obsessions List for February, I realized (and just now realized this is Valentine's Day month.. how apropos for the title) that so many of my current Loves feature significantly the Letter 'L'.  Seriously, it's a bit weird.  

Let me start with four musical obsessions on the agenda this month.  

Labrinth.  Love this dude.  He has not yet released a full album but what he has released is deliciously contagious and perfectly danceable.  Check out Earthquake.  Trust me. It is the song that first turned me onto him.  

London Grammar.  Okay.  They are drama, and they are pop-y and ridiculous and so melodramatic it almost makes my teeth hurt.  But Sights…. Boundlessly beautiful.  And this gal can SING.

Lorde.  Yes, once again I am Late to the game on that one.  Her music is fun and funky and youthful.  Hello pop-music gladiator (yes, I am slightly obsessed with that Lingo Lately- as exhibited by my previous post), nice to meet you.  And Listen to you. 

Finally, I give you Bastille.  Yes I realize that his name does not start with an L.  It does, however, have the double L going on.  Plus, it is his song Laughter Lines that does something to my soul. This song is beautiful and epic and Lovely to the point of pain.  It is a song about aging and aging again, and remembering, remeeting, revolving around one-another; and the way in which love grows even as we grow up, grow old, together or apart.  I Love it. 

Moving on to other obsessions: this poem blows my mind.  A Nocturnal Upon St. Lucy's Day.  There's that pesky L again.  Lucy.  Love. 

Language.  Language is the skeleton key.  It is culture and belief and insight; Language is experience. And I want to Learn them all.  I may be setting myself up for failure, but I need to know! 

That's all for now, I think.  

Until next time.  L all around. 

1 comment:

  1. Bastille! And Lorde! And always being the latecomer. It is more fun that way.

    ReplyDelete