Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Last Night- Aotearoa, the Giver

I have been staying at a yoga studio in Auckland for the past five nights.  To be more specific, I have been staying at what we affectionately refer to as 'Cheshire Street', the nickname for the studio who's intensive I took in order to become the yogic creature I am presently.

But tonight is my last night here.  Tonight is my last night in Cheshire Street, in Auckland, in New Zealand.  At least for the next 10 months or so.
More on that potential financial disaster but intellectual goldmine as it develops....

I have seen indescribably beautiful things, I have seen wilderness, I have seen city life and country life in cities and countrysides that really live.  They have life, vibrant, bold, sometimes touristy but often earthy LIFE.  In considering New Zealand, I have finally come to the conclusion that this place gives.  That is what New Zealand does.  She gives.  She gives what she has to those in need.  And we are all in need.  So she gives to all of us- what she has- what we need.

I needed a lifeline.  She provided me not one but many.  I needed perspective, peace, humility, and belonging.  My God did she provide those things.  And then some.  On so many different levels, this place just gives.  That is the thing I could never quite put my finger on in describing her to people.  It is the unnamed (but now named) quality of her existence which has given me so much pleasure, so much peace, and so very much perspective.

Alas.  Tomorrow I leave her, my Aotearoa, my Gifter of Life.  If I could truly describe the immense intensity of this second visit to New Zealand... well... actually, no.  I do not think I would even if I could.  I cannot describe the place in general- it took me nearly two years to happen upon this giving clarity.  But this visit, this visit in particular, is mine.  It is mine on a deeper level than you could possibly grasp or imagine.  So I shall selfishly keep it to myself for a little while longer.

At least for tonight, at least on this last night.

Until next time, my Friends,
Hei Kona Ra

No comments:

Post a Comment