Wednesday, January 14, 2015

January Obsessions

Alas, for those of you who are getting sick of the musics on this traveling blog, brace yourselves- this Obsessional Confessional is largely just that.  

The musics. 

The first time I heard Simon and Garfunkel's 'The Boxer', I am relatively certain I fell in love (with it).  The first time I heard this version, I'm relatively certain I fell in love again.  Hard.  Something about the overly pretty lyricism of Marcus Mumford's voice makes this song make sense in a poignant, painful way- a way that I did not fully understand as a wee child belting it out in line with 'Cecilia' and 'Scarborough Fair.'  I've known about this cover for a while but lately it's been kicking around my computer a lot.  

This guy has not yet released his first full-length album... but when he does I do believe I will be picking my jaw up off the floor.  I flipped over and then flipped back to a song of his on the radio the other afternoon.  On a cold, rainy January day, it sort of hit the spot.  

And now for the annoying Pop Music section!  She's made my list before but recently Ellie Goulding is back on the radar.  Same songs, same album, different ears. 

Ella Henderson's Ghost is basically rapid-fire repeating on my Youtube.  

And forget about Sia… 'Oh why can I not conquer love?'  That lyric…Hmmm…. Hello life-theme.  

Okay, I do believe the that I 'fessed up before and admitted to kind of loving 'The Voice.' Go ahead, judge me.  This most recent season gave me Matt McAndrew doing this song.  Super gimmicky, yes.  Even I will admit that.  But the finalists all did original songs in their final round.  Fan-forking-tastic. 

Alright alright, I'll stop with the tune.  

I am fairly certain that I have found my next tattoo.  Given enough time, sketching and ink (and removal of the runic script), I think my tattoo artist will do incredible things with these two:


I have always claimed that I would never get a shoulder tattoo.  But I think these birds, stacked one on top of the other, taking flight from just above my elbow to just below my collarbone would be stellar.  

I just finished The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.  Which brings me to an odd set of obsessions- my Aunts Patricia and Nancy.  My father's eldest sister (Pat) is basically my literary guru.  She sent me this book as part of a Christmas package which included a coffee blend from his second eldest sister (Nancy)... who just happens to be my travel and coffee guru.  

Big big shout out to the awesomeness of a good family.  

And until next time Dearhearts, I believe that is all.  

In theory. 


No comments:

Post a Comment