Saturday, August 23, 2014

When August Obsesses

There is an alternate ending scene at the end of the Bourne Identity when Matt Damon's Jason walks into Franka Potente's Marie's shop and kisses her.  Like, full on- arms around the body, soul-to-soul, lips hard against lips, kiss.  It's the kind of kiss that one fantasizes about- it's the kind of kiss one wants. Badly.

Admittedly, I have a thing for Matt Damon.  A legit bad and raucous thing- I would watch him in Looney Tunes if need be.  But that kiss.  That kiss. That kiss is what begins this obsessions post. Because I have been kissed.  And I have been kissed extraordinarily well.  And yet, I want that kiss.  Hmm.. or this one.

Okay, okay.  I know that I am once again late to the dance.  But Alabama Shakes! Listen to this woman's voice.. it is so worth being late.  Also note the shout out to KEXP with that one :).

Also, everything Dr. John (I know that I am late to this one, too); this song by The National*, and the new album from the Gaslight Anthem (yes oh yes, they do come up in the obsessions confessional for the umpteenth time).

Conrad Aiken's The Divine Pilgrim.  The first book is called the Charnel Rose.  It illuminates.

Travel to Norway.  Nope.  Not kidding.  I recently read this article- which has literally nothing to do with Norway except that it reminded me of the importance of travel.  It reminded me that flight can make you survive, can make you thrive.  Yes, I go to strange places at strange times (which is all relative, and all arguable… and really, the entire point behind the existence of this blog).  Yes, I like to get to know places slowly, like getting to know the best of friends, or like lovers' bodies.  Which is why I go places for long times.  Travel and immersion (again relative) is as necessary to my being as air and breath.  It's not an obsession so much as it is a lifestyle.  I live by drinking culture into my veins.

I think that is all for now.  I shall keep the riotous lot of you in the know about Norway.  And Aiken.  And kissing.

*There is something inherently and beautifully sad about this song.  It pulls me in a la Bon Iver's Holocene… it mesmerizes, hypnotizes. It makes me yearn.  It makes me remember.  It makes me feel bitter and sweet.  Bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment